January 31, 2009

The not-so-immediate departure for Sudan / Embarquement (presque) immédiat pour le Soudan


We arrive early in the morning, groggy and congested as any morning in Cairo before the morning ful, when the light has not the strength to pierce the sullen and asthmatic sky. We knew exactly the location of the hidden desk at the back of the furthest quarter of Ramses Railway Station, where one visits only if they are taking the Aswan ferry to Sudan. It is no handicap to not read or speak Arabic here, as the sign once written “Blue Nile Tours” in both English and Arabic had apparently been lost (likely to shield the sleeping dwellers of the station from the sun and gawking crowds). The dismal window, chicken-wired and cardboard covered, was a mystery to even the other Egyptian and Sudanese whom waited with us, each expressing concern that we had all gathered in the wrong place. We stood for an hour and a half after the office was meant to open (confirmed three times in person and over the telephone). We befriended an Egyptian boxer, a true gentleman in any language, and a secondary school teacher visiting from Sudan to buy a new wardrobe. It was she who first remarked, “the office must be on Sudanese time” (simply meaning always an hour or so later than they tell you). But when all was said and done, when all pertinent persons arrived with their bouquets of keys, when all paperwork had been ordered, and all locals greeted with the usual cordial morning garble, the process was relieved for all present in under one minute with the simple resolution, “we have no tickets today, come back next week!”

IMG_8788 We were less than so punctual the following session arriving this second time, not to the handful of smiles and curious faces as before, but to a riotous conglomerate, one-hundred large rude men with insidious stares, each fighting for their tickets in a system of shifting lines which defied all western notions of logic. Eugénie boldly took foot and bared forward utilizing every possible privilege of her white-foreign-non-native-speaker-womanhood status to finish the job in less than ten seconds. She entered the forbidden office, manned by three workers who managed slowly the carbon paper and stacks of green passports upon the desks. She the was given two tickets for the boat the following Monday (only one boat per week), and two pamphlets in English titled “What is this Islam?”.

It was a quick skip by labor-rail to the southern electrical plants converting energy from the dam below Aswan (the famous dam which created Nasser Lake and flooded Northern Nubia in '63, displacing 100,000 people between Sudan and Egypt, killing more, and covering many of the most important Nubian and Kushite temples below it's depths). From there we would wait a few hours on the chilly lawn, amidst the trucks of produce and Chinese goods, amongst the would-be passengers and chariots of falafel, alive with the tradition of water-way voyagers headed up the Nile. There are only two types of tickets one can purchase for the ferry. The first-class offers private cabins for two persons; small, blanket-less tin boxes useful only if you distrust your baggage with the sprawls of others who inhabit the vessel. IMG_8776For the rest of us, there are two options: man your bench inside the boat (an option popular with the old women with tribal scars who do all but throw you overboard to ensure their excessive needs for foot room are met), or scramble for the best pick of nooks anywhere either, you can conceivably fit your body in, or on top of the boat.  Wide rows of black and brown feet bordered the floors, decks, halls, railings, and cargo boxes, as ankles upwards were covered in thick wool blankets to protect from the wind. Men cuddled together with communal plastic bags of sneuse (strong tobacco left between your gums and lower teeth to ooze into your mouth before spitting) and cards, while women stayed with the restless children on the first deck. For every body crammed onto the boat seemed a trailer-load of glass wear, kitchen appliances, strollers, boxed goods, clothes-racks and motor parts to accompany. The boat stacked barrels of oil, crates of produce, sugar, and cereals, televisions, and farm equipment wherever it could fit them.

We arrived to the boat at roughly 10:00 in the morning, and as the sun set on the calming port (filled with commercial cargo vessels and cruise ships headed towards Abu Simbel) it was half past 7:00 in the evening. The initial realization as to the fatigue such a journey was about to inflict was apparent.

Eugénie had earlier in the day, as always, befriended each crew member, captain, chef, holy man, goat, tomato, and foreigner aboard (providing me with a constant supply of offered fruits from the flirtatious kitchen staff). Each person with a ticket was provided a free ful ticket to be used at their disposal during the voyage. The kitchen staff kept the fruit salad, fresh salad, and fried fish bowls filled whilst reverberating their rotten radios through the metal scheme of the liner a constant pulse of reggae from Eritrea. There were two dining halls (more commonly tea rooms for the sleepless); one on each of the two floors.

Of the dozen “non-Africans” adventuring the waters, nearly half belonged to a sponsored team of cross-continent 4x4 racers from the Czech Republic, while the other half was split between young American and Japanese travelers hoping just to pass through Sudan quickly on their way to Ethiopia and Yemen, and the others were the more manly/swarthy French and Spanish photographers who could be seen at each end of the boat, at all hours, simultaneously “documenting” the scenario (I admit, here I am unsure of my intended tone of voice), or vying for credibility with long tales of voyage spliced intermittently with diatribes describing the superior function of “such” lens, zoom, or analogue technique (oh, how I adore the sentimental refrains to “the days before digital” when the industry was SO different).

IMG_8825 Eugénie and I had been some of the ousted victims of the tribal hags inside, but luckily had grown quite cushy with the crew (no thanks to myself of course), whom offered us private sleeping at the very front of the ferry. It was such glorious sounds of rushing waves and motors in lurid conversation. We had not a single light to disturb our view of the infinity of cosmos gently giving silhouette to the still dunes inching past us. It was a cold but intimate experience; a sort of reveling of voyageurs long past. It was nearly perfect, until 3:00 AM when we were awoken by a young crew member explaining the captain needed to flood the front for equilibrium (the reason normally people aren't allowed to sleep there), and we were escorted to the captains deck where we could sleep still and protected for the continuation of night.

After the morning prayers, light gently sliding up the Nile, we passed the famed Abu Simbel Temple to the west. Already covered distantly with the most eager visitors from the cruise ships, and far less spectacular than even in the outdated pamphlets available in Aswan, I was glad to be part of the community headed south, passing briefly as with great purpose to the Nubian lands so integral to such a monuments glory. We were not ones who stop at the sight of the Pearly Gate thinking that there could be nothing beyond it worth seeing (we were to continue to our Paradise). The passengers offered each and every other their dates, their beans, their tobacco, their coffee, their blankets, and their space. It is a tiring travel even for the habitual few, and the morning was spent in jovial calm and recovery. All passengers had to complete their border-entry interviews aboard the ship before arrival in the morning. It was a smooth process, though as always the nervousness of the police in charge always infects me with my own set of dry lips and extended rambling explanations of my simple “purpose for staying”. Eugénie handles these situations far better than I.

IMG_8743 It was just over twenty-four hours when we finally docked and began unloading the now worn and sluttish barge. We had only to span a small distance into town to concrete our entrance into the port, into Sudan, but already I felt a heavy sense of achievement. Sudan had begun not at any borderline, but somewhere which floats between and ripples in it's passing. There was romance in it's procedure, and great symbolism in this act of navigation. I thought to those shaky old men who told me of their travels upon the same ferry in the 1960's or 70's; how the boat even has very few changes; how the lake drowns still the same history below. I felt connected to a time when borders were, generally, more fluid bodies than not. Sudan had begun as a deep reflection of time, and the mirror Nasser remains the sole witness whom could aptly testify the affects to my person such a crossing had.


Sept heures du matin, il fait froid, il pluviote même. Trois personnes attendent déjà face au petit guichet presque introuvable de la gare Ramsès où l'on peut réserver les billets de bateau pour le Soudan. Une heure plus tard un homme fraichement réveillé ouvre la grille. Malheureusement ici on ne vend pas les billets à l'avance, pour voyager le 5 janvier il faut revenir la semaine prochaine, même lieu, même heure. Pour la deuxième tentative rendez vous est donc donné le lundi suivant à 7 heures, pour éviter de patienter dans le froid, nous arrivons à 8 heures, cette fois ci la file d'attente est longue, c'est bien notre chance. Après quelques instants d'hésitation je me dirige droit vers le guichet sourire aux lèvres, la technique fonctionne. Nous devons laisser les passeports et revenir dans deux heures, juste le temps qu'il faut pour un foul matinal. A l’heure dite tout est fin prêt. Un homme cite des noms à haute voix en tendant des passeports, le but est évidemment de récupérer le sien. Dans le bureau juste derrière trois fonctionnaires s'activent. Les passeports passent d'une main à l'autre, le premier employé rempli un bordereau rose, le second un jaune et le troisième tamponne le tout. Dehors des mains tendues essayent encore de récupérer leurs documents. Le Sak El Naam partira d'Assouan le lundi 5 janvier à 10 heures.

IMG_8721 Le bateau se trouve derrière le barrage d'Assouan situé à vingt minutes de train de la ville. Les fenêtres du wagon sont tellement jaunies qu'elles sont devenue opaques, les portes restent alors ouvertes et il fait froid, mieux vaut observer le paysage rocailleux du coté ensoleillé. Pas de barrage à l'horizon. Le train s'arrête et nous dépose près d'une grande plateforme bétonnée, au centre, une grande fontaine asséchée est décorée de dauphins bleus éméchés. L'accès au port se trouve derrière une grande grille dorée, le drapeau égyptien planté sur une colonne flotte au vent. Des policiers et des militaires dans des habits de couleurs différentes patrouillent où attendent à l'ombre sur des chaises en plastique. Il n'y a pas encore beaucoup monde mais il y a du matériel: des frigos, des fours, des télés, des camionnettes remplies de denrées et un grand charriot de bagages.

IMG_8794 La foule composée principalement d'égyptiens et de soudanais attend au milieu des cartons sous le soleil matinal. Quelques blancs chargés de gros sacs où à bord de leur véhicule tous terrains attentent aussi l'embarquement. Une grande file commence à se former. Chose à priori étrange, les étrangers sont appelés en premier, mais, vu le nombre de contrôles de sécurité, il faut au moins cela. La première vérification des passeports est suivie de nombreuses autres. Fouille des sacs. Second contrôle et achat de timbre pour le visa de sortie du territoire égyptien à deux guichets différents. Le grand hall est bien vide, seuls quelques policiers s'attardent sur nos documents derrière leurs comptoirs respectifs. L'ultime vérification nous donne accès au bateau encore vide. Nous recevons en prime un petit ticket donnant droit à un repas sur le navire. Sur le quai, les tas de marchandises à embarquer s'amoncellent. Il faut traverser une barge sur laquelle les voitures et autre marchandises vont être convoyées. Le Sak El Naam compte deux grandes salles couvertes de rangées de banquettes plastifiées, à l'extérieur se trouve un grand pont où les voyageurs commencent à monter le campement. Le sol est couvert d'huile graisseuse, les murs fait de plomb sentent le kérosène.

IMG_8764 Au premier niveau deux grands couloirs abritent les cabines, basiques avec deux lits superposés et un extincteur. A chaque étage il y a une cuisine et un réfectoire. Le bateau reste vide un certain temps. Dans les cuisines on s'active déjà depuis un certain temps, on lave les légumes pour la salata et on coupe les oranges pour le dessert. Il est assez facile de distinguer le personnel, alors que les serveurs portent des tenues bleues et jaunes, les ingénieurs et techniciens sont vêtus de grandes blouses bleues pâle rapidement maculées de cambouis. Dans le couloir un escalier donne accès au poste de pilotage et aux cabines des navigants. Sadek, l'uns des six capitaines se promène sur le pont et m'offre un thé à la soudanaise, c'est-à-dire encore plus sucré qu'en Egypte. Le chargement bat son plein, les soutes sont envahies de cartons et autre paquets. Nous commettons l'erreur suprême de quitter notre place quelques instants, à notre retour, deux vieilles femmes ont envahies les lieux, elles ont par la même occasion empilé des montagnes de cartons, de sacs dans le peu d'espace dévoué aux passagers. L'affaire tourne mal et la moitié du bateau s'en mêle, les femmes refusent de se séparer de leurs nouveaux autocuiseurs à sept niveaux. A force de patience et de discussion les affaires partent enfin sur le pont. Mais l'espace libre ne tarde pas à être réoccupé de plus belle, par des pneus cette fois et d'autre choses. Chacun crée sa place comme il peut, sur le toit, sur des couvertures ou des tapis de prière.

Tout le monde s'organise mais la circulation devient rapidement impossible. Les hommes sont en majorité sur le pont et les femmes à l'intérieur. Certains font la sieste et d'autres jouent aux cartes, à l'heure de la prière tout le monde s'incline dans la même direction et la valse commence. Le bateau enfin chargé quitte le quai à la nuit tombée, vers 19 heures. Le navire s'endort alors progressivement, seuls quelques passagers demeurent éveillées dans les couloirs au milieu des ronflements et des corps emboités les uns dans les autres. Des jambes trainent partout, il faut chaud et le moteur couvre les ronflements. Même les couloirs ont été squattés, des petites communautés se sont installées entre les cartons. Les femmes sont enveloppées dans leurs voiles colorés. Les plateaux et les os de poulet servis pour le diner trainent partout sur le sol. La nuit sous les étoiles bercée par le léger ronronnement du moteur est fraiche et la couverture du capitaine réconfortante.

IMG_8799 Au levé du soleil la vie reprend, chacun prépare son foul et son chaï. Le bateau arrive au Soudan vers 11 heures. Les étrangers sont alors appelés les uns après les autres pour récupérer les passeports empilés sur une table ; à coté, dans un grand carton sont entassés les papiers d’identité verts des soudanais beaucoup plus nombreux. Entre temps des policiers en tenue bleu claire et képi de travers sont montés à bord. L'attente est longue, les agents mal aimables et tendus. Deux fonctionnaires posent alors des questions sur les raisons de notre venue … où, pourquoi, comment, combien de temps. Le feuillet d'immigration ne suffit pas, il faut remplir un autre formulaire où sont posées exactement les mêmes questions. En discutant naïvement du pays et de ses atouts l'atmosphère se détend. Suite au dernier contrôle à la sortie du bateau, nous sommes à présent libres. Le port de Wadi – Hafla n'est pas bien grand, seul le Sak El Naam est amarré à quai, sous un soleil de plomb.